I share here a text @milesf wrote with general questions useful for the hackathon:
HackCOVID- Léman March 28th MyData
From the perspective of medical anthropology, intersectionality:
Target an Application that creates a social profile to be utilized to facilitate social interaction minimizing socioeconomic damage during pandemics (sadly they are here to stay) and unlike SARS1 that ground pockets of economy to a halt, SARS2 has ground the global economy to a halt.
• A central tenet – there is no biomedical (vaccine, antiretroviral) response to COVID19
• As with SARS1, MERS etc, medical treatments are possible, but unlikely
• This is key, our response is a social response (physical distancing, shelter in place) limiting social interaction
• End result is to break the chain of transmission of COVID19 utilizing app that contains a social profile to identify safe interactions
• Allow privacy but health identifiers
• Are the app connections both govt and society-based?
• What is the main target function of the app?
• Data sets and math to create?
• Critical not to infringe on rights in the West.
• Asian approach of lock down can’t be used in the West
• Foucault’s biopower in play, the peoples power and rights fed back up to the government
• The app navigates this contour of human rights versus government control
• Surveys to get profiles? What is the value/danger of profiling?
• How does the app contribute to the social response to COVID19, since that is our only response?